Friday, May 11, 2012

Shocking


Just thought I would share one of my “that’s just Karli” moments to give you guys a little taste of a day in the life.  There is a feeling that comes over you.  When your Latin roots take over your taste buds.  And you desire el fuego of the Mexican sun and the soul of the Tango.  It encompasses you. Overwhelms your very being.  It was a chips and salsa craving.  And as so many of you know, this craving cannot be quelled and simply will not be satiated by anything but chips and salsa themselves.  Whatever the justification, (Salsa has, like, no calories; Salsa is made with tomatoes which are, like, a fruit/vegetable enigma of healthiness; Salsa has other known and not-so-known palatable pleasures) the siren call had to be heeded. 
As a diligent college student with no concept of free time, and for whom multi-tasking is the only way to get something done, I decided I could make this excursion useful by studying Spanish.  (Appropriate, right?)  Off I went to Willy’s Mexicana Grill, because, with a name like Willy’s, you KNOW it’s authentic. My plan, however, to mindlessly munch on the crispy tortillas in solitude while scouring una palabra despues de la otra, was foiled in that it was “Trivia Night.”  The yells and excitement of the beer-pitcher fueled team members was not ideal.  Though the issue may seem trivial (ha) I decided on a change of plans.  I took my bag of chipos back to my car and drove toward a God-forsaken part of the parking lot.  I climbed into the back seat and nestled myself between the back seat and the front seat, where no pedestrians or bypassing cars could see me.  I opened up my book, I dug into the chips, and there I did my studying. What you might view as an all time low, I view as ingenious.   Besides, this could not be an all time low because it actually gets worse from here. 
When I went to start my car… it wouldn’t.  Try it again.  Nope.  And again… nada.  By now it is about 10 at night, and I am stranded in a sketchy parking lot alone with a belly full of chipos.  There was only one course of action: call the best friend. The one who I trust can do just about anything.  The one I knew would not judge me for just having ate alone in my car in hiding while studying for my exam.  After a brief explanation of the situation, after some brief laughter on her part (shame on mine), I asked if she knew how to jump a car.  She left me with an assuring, “I’ll Google it and be right there.”  Perfecto.  Soon, the beacon ray of hope shined through the darkness--Emily’s car.  It was then that my mom called and I recounted to her what was taking place.  Her words: “Do not touch anything. You will electrocute yourself."  With that boost of confidence, two blondes set about on this adventure of jumping a car.  Step one: lift the hood.  Great.  I didn’t even know step one.  After much deliberation, I found the mysterious little button.  Now we were talkin.  Red on red.  Black on black.  Easy enough.  And with the same emotions I feel Dr. Frankenstein must have experienced, it was ALIVE! Mwa haha my car LIVES! 
Thank goodness for good friends and Google.   Together, they make the world go round.  So I guess the moral of the story can be interpreted in two ways: 1) Do not give into your naughty food cravings.  Karma will bite you in the butt.  2) Do not ever attempt to do anything by yourself like a loaner, no matter how easy, or simple, or basic, or common-sense it might seem.  At best, you will mess it up.  At worst, you will be electrocuted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment