Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Cat that Plays Fetch


18 years ago, a very eager four-year-old me kicked excitedly in the backseat.  Where are we going?  Mom and dad smiled at each other, some secret destination in mind.  We arrived at the Atlanta Humane Society.  After much joking from my father, I was convinced I was getting a fish.  Lucky for me, they had something slightly fluffier (and far less boring) in mind. 

We open the door to a room full of kittens tucked away in their cages.  And I could have my pick.  Whichever I wanted.  Now a four-year-old’s over enthusiasm was enough to put the fear of God into them.   As an only child, my parents thought I needed a pet to keep me a little less lonely.  The situation might have seemed hopeless until one shaky little kitten was put on the floor.  Rather than clawing to anything it could gets its hands on in protest, she walked right up to me.  She was the one.  

We went through the adoption process and it came down to name.  My first suggestion was Spot, until mom and dad gently noted that there was not a single spot on her.  Fluffy?  Too generic.  I looked around the room, clearly in need of inspiration.  The Humane Society poster donned the adjacent wall with a picture of a great big heart.  Heart!  I exclaimed.  My mind could not be changed.  “I love her, so her name has to be Heart!”  Well what monster is going to deny the logic of a toddler?  Heart it was.  They put her in her little box that said "I’m going home!" and that’s exactly where we brought her. 

(Though I do not think we ever called her by her actual name.) Heart quickly be came Hearty, Hearty-girl, Heartskies, or the more creative Scooby, Stoops, and Hearty-Pa-Tar-Tar. 

From me forcing her to spend hours with me in the laundry room playing “school” to dressing her up in the most stylish of doll fashions, Heart was a trooper.  One of her favorite pastimes was letting me push her in baby doll strollers.  Truly, her life was charmed.  One of the things Hearty became most known for (among anyone who would listen) was her love of playing fetch.  We would notice my little watercolor paintbrushes started to disappear.  And the culprit?  One mischevious baby panther.  We would  let her stalk one of those devilish paintbrushes, give it a toss and let her thunderbolt after it.  Then she would prance back with her kill in her mouth, hanging out like a long cigarette. 

She was right at home atop of dad’s (or “Gampy” to her) chest.  He would snooze in the recliner and she would settle on his belly, paws outstretched and knead his neck like a ball of dough.  Or the way she would squeeze in beside Gammy in the armchair.  No room?  No problem.  She’ll make it.  Or the way she would let me lay my head on her and just purr away.  She had an affinity for space heaters, sunny spots on the carpet, dollops of whipped cream, and baskets that she overflowed from. 

The past year our once fat and happy cat wasn’t so fat anymore.  She didn’t go leaping in the direction of paintbrushes.  It was understood.  She was getting older. 

Every Christmas picture was like an “I Spy” book trying to find the hiding cat among the ribbons and paper.  She smushed her body into a little basket shaped like a sled and would let her head just hang over the side.

This Chrismas, there was no little silhouette sleeping under the tree.  No lazy little body sprawled in front of the space heater.  We have an empty sleigh basket.  We have a piece of ceramic with a tiny paw print. 

One might say black cats aren’t very lucky, but I would argue that a life of 18 years isn’t too bad, and she battled that tumor as best as her little body could.  If you are going to have a pet, you should love it.  It should be part of the family.  And Hearty-girl definitely was.  If all dogs go to heaven, then I’m quite certain that very special kitty cats do, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment