Monday, June 11, 2012

El Fin


It was the trip I had been waiting for my whole life. A bit dramatic?  Maybe, but its better than “the dawn of time.”  Ever since I even heard of the concept of study abroad I knew that Spain was going to be my destination.  1) I could practice my Spanish by means of immersion. 2) It is in Europe… and I had never been to Europe.  Done and done.  And, after so much eager anticipation, just like that, the three and a half weeks were over in the blink of an eye.  Looking back, it was a whirlwind of people, places, and language.  It is as if each day runs into the other, lacking a finite beginning and end.  I have to look at the journey as a whole, then focus on individual experiences in isolation in order to wrap my head around it.  I can’t believe all I have seen in such a short amount of time.  Of course, I would have loved to stay longer.  However, I was glad to be coming home.  I was starting to miss things like air conditioning.  And the food.  Oh, and my family. 
In addition to Madrid, I also visited Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca, Córdoba, and El Escorial.  We were busy!  Let’s recap a bit: I have been to a packed stadium soccer game and witnessed history as Real Madrid won their 32nd Championship victory.  I dined in the world’s oldest restaurant. (Er… at least attempted to.)  I ascended the tower of a castle. I perused the Royal Palace. I observed timeless pieces in the Museo del Prado.  I saw the resting place of Spanish royalty.   I watched a flamenco espactáculo done to Carmen.  I even took a Flamenco class! Travis and I (the dancing rock stars/sinverguenzas) gave the famous dance our own attempt.  In my brain, I did fabulous.  I brought the dancing to the discotecas, something unlike anything in Athens.  The best was our last night all together there at a place called Moon Dance.  Which, for the life of me, I could never get right.  (Moonlight/ Moonshine/ Moonbeam…?)  I saw Madrid from above in a cable car overlooking the city.  I scoured the racks of some of the cutest stores I have ever seen. I got to see Zac Efron speak Spanish.  Might not have been in person, and it might not have really been his voice.  Minor details.  I met students from all over Europe.  I was humbled by ornate cathedrals.  I was serenaded by a tuna in the plaza of Spain’s “college town.” I saw beauty all around me.  It was in the form of the amazing architecture, the hilltop views, the delightful parks, even the charming little alleyways.   This is all just to name a few…
If I had to say what I miss most, it would be strolling through the park or chilling in front of a café.  This may not sound very exciting, but it was these simple, easygoing moments, in which I had no commitments or places to go, I could talk and relax and just enjoy the easygoing lifestyle that is Spain.   I made some great friends, and it was enjoying their company that made it all the better.  The experience simply would not be the same without their humor and inside jokes, which for some reason were just not as funny to anyone else.  I look forward to many more adventures with them upon returning to Athens.  One person I certainly miss is my “madre” (my Spanish caregiver)  She treated us so wonderfully, and I am thankful I have a place to stay when I go back.  (That’s right not if.)    For me, I know this was just the beginning.  Sin duda, era una experiencia inolvidable.  Without a doubt, it was an unforgettable experience.  I look at leaving not as an “adios” but more of an “hasta luego.”

No comments:

Post a Comment